In future years, the issues of weather, water supply, land use and air quality may become more prominent as human activity is putting the environment under stress. Below is a list of recommendations for the further study of the river basin and the general environment.
- Conduct more climate simulations for Alberta to help determine if human activity is affecting the climate, and whether air emissions controls are satisfactory.
- Study the effects of erosion in high-risk areas, and determine the risk of property damage.
- Ensure that flood warning systems are effective and improve weather forecasts to predict floods better.
- Conduct long-term studies on the effects of air pollution on humans, relating to respiratory disease, life expectancy.
- Study fluvial processes with respect to the South Saskatchewan River, to predict long-term changes in the river.